On a search for cool things to do with Jello...I stumbled upon Wiggly Watermelon. I immediately fell in LOVE. This is something that apparently has been on the internet forever and somehow had not become apart of my life.
Let me introduce you in case you too have been kept in the dark. This is Wiggly Watermelon. Wiggly Watermelon say hello.
I know, he's charming. Even more charming in person.
You'll have to excuse my awful photos...I should probably learn how to take a better picture. I got the idea from Gourmet Mom on-the-Go. Her pictures are 100 times better.
Anyhow, how much fun is that? It simply is jello that is set inside a piece of hollow fruit. It can be done with lemons, limes, strawberries and oranges too. Imagine these as Jello Shooters for grown up time...everyone will be walking sideways pretty quickly with shots as cute as these. Keeping them alcohol free for the kiddos is fun too.
It's quite the crowd pleaser...
4 Large Boxes of Jello (we used Strawberry)
8 Cups of Water for Boiling Jello
5 Cups of Water for adding into Jello after Boiling
*1/4 c. mini chocolate chips (we did not use these...we kinda ate them all)
*Alcohol (optional...obviously not for the kiddos)
1. Cut Watermelon in half
2. Hollow out watermelon with a spoon or melon baller
3. Make jello as directed on label EXCEPT only add 5 cups of cold water - otherwise the watermelon will not hold up (if adding alcohol, this would be when!)
4. Pour into hollowed out watermelon - I set my watermelon in a bowl about the size of the watermelon to avoid spilled jello (which is a pain in the hoo-ha to clean up)
5. Put watermelon in fridge to set for 24 hours
6. IF you want to add in the chocolate chips - use a chop stick and push chocolate chips into jello about 12 hours into cooling (when mixture is firm but not set).
7. When ready slice and serve AND GET THE SOAP AND WATER READY. The kids will get sticky. Or the adults...depending on your crowd.